Thursday, April 25, 2013

Carry It Forward: Ted Presentations

            These past few weeks we have heard tons of Ted Presentations that have really made us all think. But one in particular made me think extra hard about what I was doing with my life and how I could actually be changing the world. It was actually Allie Sonneborn's Ted presentation about water. After her presentation that day I realized that I could be doing so much more to help preserve water. It was that moment that I decided to carry it forward (hence the name of my post) and do all I can to help preserve water. 
            This was also the moment that I started obsessing over the amount of water I was using on a daily basis. I made sure to take the quickest showers possible and I always turned the water off when I was brushing my teeth. I also washed my hands quickly and made sure the dishwasher was very full before I ran it in order to run it less. But I still felt like I wasn't doing enough to change the world. So I decided to explain this problem to my family and get them in on it too. 
            This was when I began to take charge of my families water usage. I would remind them often about what other people are going through without water and how we take water for granted every day. After a while my family started being just as conscious about their water usage as I was. I finally felt like I was starting to make a difference. 
            I am going to continue to be conscious of my water usage for the rest of my life because of the presentation that Allie gave to our class. It made me aware of how much I take water for granted everyday and how thankful I really should be for my water. I plan to spread this idea and knowledge to as many people as I can in order to truly make a difference in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment